StanChart KL International Marathon 2009

Tuesday 30 June 2009

My target for this marathon was 5 hours. My last marathon was in Singapore on 2007 where I suffered and finished in about 6hrs 30mins. I thought that was my last marathon ever. However, Steven, my running partner convinced me to take up the challenge with this marathon. I remained abit apprehensive, as my legs are not that strong and aching all the time due to the several motorbike accidents I had in the past. I told myself that no matter what, I will not push myself over the limit ... lest what happened in the last marathon will repeat itself. Moreover, I just had an operation to correct my slipped disc last September.

When I reached the 30 km mark, my timing was 3hrs 30mins which was well within my target. Unfortunately, I had to struggle upon reaching the numerous long slopes before reaching Bank Negara Malaysia.

Just about 300m from the finish line, I was met by my wife (our team's camerawoman), Steven and Cheryl. My spirit was lifted with their cheering and I finally reached the ending line unofficially in 5hrs 10 mins. I was elated that I didn’t take too long to complete the marathon and still managed to qualify for the finisher medal. I was also quite surprised that I did not suffer as much pain as in my previous 2 marathons.

My performance this round has given me more confidence to try the Penang Bridge International Marathon in November. It has motivated me to take part in other future marathons too and who knows, I may even want to try to qualify for the London Marathon! Cheer me on and give me the POWER to believe in myself!

StanChart KL International Marathon 2009


Date: 28 June 2009
Venue: Dataran Merdeka, Kuala Lumpur
Category: Men Full Marathon
Distance: 42.68 km
Unofficial Time: 5 hr 10 mins

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP